Sea Story: The Sinking of the ex-USCGC Evergreen

With the late-November pre-deployment fleet exercise completed, the ships of the carrier battle group scattered to enjoy a round of port visits at various sites around the Caribbean.

Most of the ships, that is.

Instead of heading to San Juan, Puerto Rico, as planned, USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51) was given a new assignment: to sink the target hulk which had stubbornly refused to go down despite being repeatedly bombed by the carrier’s air wing and hit by 5-inch shells from several surface ships.

Needless to say, this turn of events did not sit well with Burke’s Commanding Officer. He argued to no avail with the Battle Group Commander that there were other ships closer to the last known position of the Evergreen, formerly a U.S. Coast Guard Cutter.

Burke was the first of a new class of ship, so we were getting a lot of attention, including visits by military and civilian dignitaries and write-ups in the press. There was a strong belief that our assignment to sink the Evergreen was more than a little motivated by a desire to show us we were the new kids on the block and no better than any other ship.

*  *  *  *

The CO called a Department Head meeting to inform us of the change in schedule and make plans for the sinking. On my way to his cabin I felt the ship reverse direction and pick up speed until we were going as fast as I remembered from pre-commissioning high-speed trials. Without looking I knew Burke was throwing a huge rooster tail of water aft.

The plan was simple: drive like hell to the Evergreen’s last known position — the Navigator estimated we’d arrive around 1:30 a.m. — pump the hulk full of 5-inch shells until it sank, reverse course and run like hell to San Juan. If everything went well we’d miss 12-15 hours of our scheduled three-day port visit.

After the Department Head meeting broke up I met with what I liked to call the Supply Department Leadership Council: my assistant the Disbursing Officer and the Chiefs and First Class Petty Officers who got things done.

As a group we talked about what the department needed to do to support both the delayed port visit and night gunnery action. For example, Stores Division would have a Sailor standing by in the Supply Support Center in case a spare part was needed on short notice to repair one of the gun mounts.

Senior Chief Holcomb, the department’s Leading Chief and senior cook, suggested beefing up the team involved with preparing and serving Midnight Rations. Called MidRats for short, it was the fourth daily meal served when ships are underway to support late-night watchstanders. With more Sailors than usual expected to be up and around, more food would be required for MidRats and as an added treat Holcomb wanted to include fresh-baked brownies and cookies.

*  *  *  *

 Word gets around pretty quickly on a small warship ­­— we called it Rumor Control or Mess Decks Intelligence (MDI) — so when I wandered down to the mess decks after our meeting quite a few Sailors already knew what was going on and those who didn’t suspected something when we reversed course and went to flank speed. Dinner was being served and I wanted to listen in when the CO announced the schedule change over the shipwide 1MC announcing system.

The CO started with the facts — San Juan was delayed because we had been tasked with sinking the target hulk — before adding some spin to the message: We were the only ship the Battle Group Commander trusted for the mission, it was an honor for a brand-new ship to be entrusted with such a delicate task, etc., etc.

The crew didn’t buy it but I could tell they appreciated the effort, and overall the grumbling was at a minimum. The CO closed by telling the crew it wasn’t often they’d get a chance to see a night surface gunnery action, so he suggested everyone not on watch get up and watch the show.

*  *  *  *

I headed up to the bridge at 1 a.m., knowing I would need extra time for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. We were still hauling the mail at the point, but shortly after I took up a position near the Boatswain’s Mate of the Watch the Burke slowed to what seemed like a crawl.

“Bridge, Combat: surface target bearing zero-zero-zero relative, range 20,000 yards,” came a report from the Combat Information Center (CIC), following the protocol of: station being called, station calling, message.

If it was the Evergreen, the target was 10 nautical miles dead ahead of us. By this point all stations — CIC, gun mounts, magazines and ammo handling rooms — were manned and ready, and lookouts wearing night-vision devices were posted on the bridge wings.

Although there was absolutely nothing around us for miles — we were in an area known to be used by the Navy for exercises and appropriate Warnings to Mariners had been sent out — the CO wisely wanted visual confirmation so we held our course as the Bosun and Officer of the Deck challenged the lookouts to be the first to identify the target.

The disembodied voice from CIC counted down the range to the target, and a feeling of anticipation began to grow on the bridge. I slipped out to the port bridge wing, sniffed some of the chilly Caribbean air and returned to my spot by the Bosun.

A few minutes later CIC reported the radar picture of the target was lost — and then just as quick it was back on screen. In response to the CO’s question the CIC watch officer opined that the target may be low in the water: a safe bet considering the Evergreen had taken several bomb and shell hits.

As we steadily closed the distance the radar picture remained solid but the lookouts were unable to get a visual on the target. And then:

“Bridge, Combat: Surface target lost by radar. Last bearing zero-zero-zero relative, range 6,000 yards.”

Followed shortly by:

“Bridge, Sonar: Underwater target acquired, bearing zero-zero-zero relative, range 6,000 yards, depth increasing.”

*  *  *  *

With the newest and most expensive surface warship in the U.S. Navy’s inventory bearing down on it, the Evergreen decided enough was enough and the former cutter slipped beneath the Caribbean waves.

You could hear a pin drop on the bridge of the Burke as the gravity of the Sonar report sunk in. Sitting in his bridge chair on the starboard side, the CO rested his chin on one fist and stared blankly ahead. I’d seen him angry on more than one occasion and this had all the signs of being another.

By this point the other ships of the battle group were in port somewhere, enjoying some down time with a few cold beverages. Burke, on the other hand, had been given a task that not only delayed our port visit but turned out to be unnecessary.

Just then the centerline watertight door clanged open and my wardroom supervisor, a Petty Officer First Class who would go on to cook for the Secretary of the Navy, walked through with a platter of brownies and cookies.

With everyone staring at him the cook quickly sensed something was wrong and he stood uncertainly with the platter while the delicious smell of the baked goods filled the bridge. After what seemed like an hour but was probably just a few seconds, the CO waved him over.

After the cook approached him the CO picked up a cookie and took a bite. He slowly chewed the still-warm chocolate chip treat while staring ahead and listening to CIC report the increasing depth of the Evergreen. When finished, the CO thanked the cook and said the cookies were excellent. After a sip from his coffee cup, the captain leaned forward and pushed the button on his intercom.

“All stations, Captain: I want to put five rounds of 5-inch on the target’s last position, then reverse course and make best speed to San Juan.”

And that’s what we did, although I suspect in the final report to the battle group commander the sequence of events — Evergreen sinking and Burke shooting — may have been reversed.


21 responses to “Sea Story: The Sinking of the ex-USCGC Evergreen

  1. I was on the last crew crew of the Evergreen.At the time,when I found out that the “Green” was going to be used as a target ship.I was a little pissed that,the Navy could use one of their own ships for a target.I guess it would be like shooting at a paper boat.One hit and down it goes!Then I figured the Navy wanted to sink a real ship.I knew it would take more than one hit to sink her.Especially with that ice breaking hull. Then I read this article,and read that she denied the Navy’s,at the time,most advanced warship from actually sinking her.I could not stop laughing.Then I read that the CO fired a shell at her last position,on the surface.YOU MISSED! “SEMPER PARATUS!”

    • Evergreen was pounded by most of a surface battle group & a carrier air wing before finally slipping beneath the waves on her own terms. A proud ship. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, David. After 9/11 I had quite a few chances to work with the Coast Guard and the folks I met were great.

  2. Served on the Evergreen for about a year. Conducted several “Ice Patrols”. Enjoyed liberty in St. John’s Newfoundland with my shipmates. It’s good to know the old girl gave the navy a fit when they tried to sink her.

  3. I know why the Capt. fired those last 5 shots but after having spent my first tour of duty aboard the Evergreen, I like to think of it as a salute. A salute to her and all the crews that ever served aboard her since 1942. Farewell old friend.

  4. St. Johns’s…errr, yes, Stardust Lounge…tattoos, ladies, Screech Rum. Ice Patrol ’77 Shame they have to go to the bottom. Could have just left her on that rickety old wooden pier in New London.

  5. Nice read, thank you. I too crewed the Evergreen for a few years in the mid 80s. Great boat and super shipmates. She would give us some audacious rides rolling 60 degrees side-to-side at times. Sad to reflect that all the personalities and efforts that worked her, steered her, ran her and serviced her ends up riddled with holes and heaped on the bottom of the sea but nice to hear she did it her way in the end.

  6. Read this with Navy buddy… nice writing. Typical military stuff. Was really sad to see my old boat (Served as MST on Evergreen from 74-76) go this way.

  7. Gordon Briggs

    I also served on the “Green” 79 – 81 America’s Cup, St. Johns, Life raft studies, I was an engineer to keep her running! Rest in peace!

    • Michael B. Pearson

      Gordo, I was a FA. Worked in th he scullery then A Gang under Chief (Effin’) Carver. Man did we do some drinking and partying. Hit me back brother.
      Mike Pearson.

  8. Pete Sabine DC1 Retired

    CGC Evergreen 1974 right out of DC school worked in galley while cleaning the crews shit pipes. Wonder if it gave much flavor to the chow. Did evap watch and drew lots of drawings. I requested this ship while in DC school. First time I ever went to reftra alone as a DC3

  9. Exceptionally good morale aboard when I was there. I rue the day I took orders off her (even if we had to haul stores all the way down that pier).

  10. Joe Richardson RM3

    So glad that I found your article – enjoyed it and she makes me so proud. Served on her from 1971-1973. Got to be with her when she got a make-over. All new insides and new bridge. The old gal always took care of us – from hurricanes to St. Johns 🙂 Oh yea – we had a great crew too….Thanks again for this web page – Lots of questions answered.

  11. Fred (fritz) h

    Snbm 1/61 – 10/63. Great memories. Some of the best years of my life.

  12. Paul Belcher, RMC rtd.

    My only underweigh in 24 years of service. I guess I could say the best two years of my 24 years as well. Many memories! from St. Johns to the Bahamas! oh yes and those 45 degree rolls! WAGO’s wobble but they don’t fall down. Truly thank you for the story, I will be sad to know she was target practice and not a museum piece but honorably one of the toughest U.S. vessels.

  13. Mark b Morris

    I was on the Green from Apr 82 till June 84…good ship, good crew….makes me laugh that we got in one last jab at the squids!! How we doin’ boys?!-Merc

  14. Michael B. Pearson

    First assignment out if basic. First time on any type of floating vessel. CO Shepard, then CO McClelland. St John’s Newfoundland. Martha’s, Signal Hill. Great crew, great times. I will never forget the first time I played eyes on an iceberg. On when we mounted 50 cal and shot at it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s